Students of all nationalities who are currently enrolled on a PhD programme in economics or finance are invited to enter this competition which offers a €10,000 prize for the overall winner. All finalists are invited to travel to the European Central Bank (ECB) Forum on Central Banking in order to present a poster detailing their research. The ECB will cover the selected students’ travel and accommodation expenses, and the winner is announced at the Forum. This year, the Forum takes place over three days between 29 June and 1 July 2020 in Sintra, Portugal.
The theme of the 2020 Forum is “Central banks in a shifting world”. Papers addressing the following topics are invited:
- The quantitative formulation of price stability and the approaches (including economic and monetary analyses) and instruments by which price stability is achieved.
- The effectiveness and the potential side effects of the monetary policy toolkit developed over the past decade.
- How monetary policy should take into account financial stability, employment and environmental sustainability.
- The macroeconomic and financial implications of structural changes (e.g. an ageing population, slowing productivity, globalisation and potential reversals, evolving financial structures, threats to environmental sustainability) and how they affect inflation and the conduct of monetary policy.
- Monetary policy communication practices.
- The roles of monetary and fiscal policies in a low interest rate environment.
Papers on other topics relevant to central banking (including the deepening of the European Economic and Monetary Union, the functioning of the euro area economy and financial system, financial stability as well as banking regulation and supervision) will also be considered. Applications from female candidates are particularly welcome.
Applications must be submitted by 15 March 2020.
More information about this research funding opportunity and the application process is available on the RESEARCHconnect funding information platform. RESEARCHconnect provides up-to-the minute content, insight and analysis on research funding news and policy. To find out more about how RESEARCHconnect can keep you in the know, and subscription fees, contact us today.