FACCE SURPLUS, the ERA-NET for Sustainable and Resilient Agriculture for Food and Non-Food Systems, has issued a pre-announcement of an upcoming Call for joint research projects. The indicative budget for this Call is €6 million.
The aim of the Call is to improve collaboration and cooperation across the European Research Area in the area of sustainable intensification of food and non-food biomass production and transformation systems, including biorefinery concepts.
Innovation, value creation and sustainable intensification of biomass production will be supported, taking into account the required economic, environmental and social conditions and resilience to climate change. Options will be explored which utilise all the biomass from agricultural land, uncultivated land and forestry with a holistic view with regards to food and non-food systems. It is expected that projects will build on the research already conducted in FACCE SURPLUS and under the broader umbrella of FACCE-JPI.
The following funding organisations are expected to participate in the Call:
- Belgium: Flanders Innovation & Entrepreneurship (VLAIO); Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO); Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique - Frenchspeaking Community (FNRS)
- Estonia: Ministry of Rural Affairs (MEM)
- France: Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR)
- Germany: Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
- Norway: The Research Council of Norway (RCN)
- Poland: The National Centre for Research and Development (NCBR)
- Romania: Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI)
- UK - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) - to be confirmed
Consortia of research organisations and companies from at least two participating countries will be eligible to apply. The duration of supported projects may be up to 36 months. National eligibility rules, including the eligibility of the private sector, will apply.
The Call will follow a two-stage procedure. It is anticipated that the Call will open on 9 January 2019 with a deadline for submission of pre-proposals of 19 March 2019.