The John Templeton Foundation is a philanthropic organisation that supports research on subjects ranging from complexity, evolution and infinity to creativity, forgiveness, love and free will.
The Foundation's main funding areas are:
- Science and the Big Questions (incorporating individual grant schemes in Natural Sciences, Human Sciences, Philosophy & Theology, and Public Engagement).
- Character virtue development.
- Individual freedom and free markets.
- Exceptional cognitive talent and genius.
- Voluntary family planning.
Any charitable entity based in any country is eligible to apply for a grant. On rare occasions, individuals and for-profit companies doing charitable work that is consistent with the Foundation's tax-exempt status may be funded.
There are no maximum or minimum funding limits and individual grants vary greatly in amount. There are two different grant levels identified by the Foundation:
- Small grants for requests of up to $234,800.
- Large grants for requests of more than $234,800.
Grants are usually provided for up to three years. In rare instances the Foundation may support a project for up to five years.
Project ideas must be submitted via an Online Funding Inquiry (OFI). If the OFI is approved, the Foundation will invite the applicant to submit a detailed Full Proposal (FP).
Deadline details for the 2019 and 2020 funding rounds are as follows:
2019 Funding Cycle
- OFI deadline: 16 August 2019
- OFI decision: 11 October 2019
- FP deadline: 17 January 2020 (for large grants; variable date for small grants)
2020 Funding Cycle
- OFI deadline: 14 August 2020
- OFI decision: 9 October 2020
- FP deadline: 15 January 2021 (for large grants; variable date for small grants)
The FP stage for small grants works to variable deadlines as they are set on an individual basis according to the project's anticipated start date, the internal workload of staff and budget considerations.
More information about this research funding opportunity and the application process is available on the RESEARCHconnect funding information platform. RESEARCHconnect provides up-to-the minute content, insight and analysis on research funding news and policy. To find out more about how RESEARCHconnect can keep you in the know, and subscription fees, contact us today.